Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Weaning- Homemade or bottled? Organic or not?

Baby food: Home made or bottled?

If u ask me, I am fine with whichever option. As long as baby gets fed and gets nutrition, i'm fine.. I'm all for balance... If i can afford the time to make the food myself, that would be best but if i am too busy to make puree for baby or no time to defroze the cube? bottled food is fine by me.

There are lots of options avaliable for bottled food. Gerbers or Heinz? Organic or non organic?

I go for... value!! hahaha... i choose the bottle food based on the following:

1: type of flavours avaliable.. (like there is only one brand avaliable for bottled prune puree.. etc)
2: price and value (i go for size of bottle and price.. i will go for the cheap one. hee..)
3: avaliability (some brands are not avaliable everywhere. I just get what is avaliable.)

BabyS has mainly had home cooked meals. but occasionally I'll have to resort to bottled food. Especially when overseas. I dont want to lug a slow cooker, rice, ingredients, etc etc for my holiday..


one of the weird concoctions BabyS had on her 1st overseas trip. Plain porridge from hotel's breakfast buffet, frisocrem (cos i think plain porridge tastes BLAH), Heinz parsnip/ carrot/ sweet potato puree and.. macdonalds french fries for some saltiness (she didnt mind this, she loved fries)!!! hahahahh... but amazing BabyS just ate it with no fuss... Thank GOd for a non fussy baby!

I usually keep the opened bottle for no more than 48 hrs. So once the bottle is opened, baby S will have to have this for 3 meals.. Any unconsumed portion will be discarded.

I ever asked those companies (Heinz and Gerbers) if i could take the puree out and put them into the ice cube trays to freeze so as to minimize wastage. Their reply was either "The glasses are not suitable for freezing" (Although i already mentioned i'll use ice cube trays) or no reply.. And so i didnt attempt, cos taking them out of the jar, into another container to freeze, might just cause more contamination.. So i rather waste the food than risk BabyS having a tummy upset.

Then friends ask me, organic or not organic?
I have not done any indepth research nor have i seen any piece of news that says babies MUST HAVE organic  foods or how 'poisonous' non organic foods can be.. i dont usually buy organic foods for myself also. And honestly, organic food can be expensives at times. SO i dont buy organic fresh food for BabyS. I've only bought a organic pumpkin before cos it was the only kind of pumpkin avaliable and it wasnt expensive..

I dont really insist on bottled organic food also.. As per my criteria for choosing bottled food, i dont really bother if the word "Organic" is on the bottle or not..i just buy..


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments or questions about this post? Share it here! (I'm just here to share, so I dont hope to see any bashing, advertising, etc.. comments deemed unsuitable will be deleted)