Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ikan bilis powder


I learnt about ikan bilis powder from my forum friends and decided to make my own to add into BabyS porridge since its a good source of calcium.

Preparation Method:
soak ikan bilis in water for 4 hours, change water every hour (to get rid of excess salt)

dry in sun for about 1 plus hour. (if no opportunity to sun then can skip. this just makes cooking time shorter) Or u can just leave it in a sieve for a while to let water drip out.

How to cook the ikan bilis

Stove method: dry fry over low fire for 20- 25 mins or till the ikan bilis feel 'lighter' and tastes crispy. (you'll really be able to feel that its lighter to fry and if u bite on one, its crispy!)

Oven method: toast in oven at 180degrees celsius for 20- 25 mins, stiring occasionally to ensure it doesnt burn too. (http://wokkingmum.blogspot.com/2008/10/ikan-bilis-powder.html)

The ikan bilis turn slighter darker brown after its cooked.

Next after ikan bilis are cooled down, grind them with mill or blender or pestle and motar into fine powder.I prefer to sieve the powder after i'm done.

THe powder is now ready for use.

Store in air tight container and keep in fridge.

I prefer to reheat the powder b4 serving it to BabyS. I'll either put the powder into the porridge just after cooking and b4 dishing it, or i'll microwave it for 20secs, or toast for 1min..

Good to serve with porridge! I occasionally add it into her stir fried veges too!

1 comment:

  1. I just wash them and sieve any dirt out, then boil for a few mins, drain away any excess dirt and throw away the ikan bilis cos it's food value is already in the stock. Then use stock to boil porridge or for any other soups.

    ReplyDelete

Any comments or questions about this post? Share it here! (I'm just here to share, so I dont hope to see any bashing, advertising, etc.. comments deemed unsuitable will be deleted)